The local council care counselling service was set up in 1997. In setting up this service, the City of Bielefeld met its obligation to provide information for people in actual and imminent need of care as well as for their relatives, as stipulated by the federal law regulating long-term care insurance and the state law of North Rhine-Westphalia regulating nursing care.

The care counselling service provides information on questions arising from such issues as need for care, nursing care and accommodation for the elderly and related topics.
Frequently asked questions are, eg
  • When does it make sense to move into a residential care home or are there support structures for assisted living I do not know about?
  • How do I apply for long-term care and how is the required level of care assessed?
  • Which services providing care in the community would be suitable for me?
  • How can care be financed?
  • Who will help me, if I would like to go on holiday or have to go into hospital?
  • What kind of residential care homes can be found in Bielefeld and where would temporary nursing care facilities be available at short notice?
The care counselling service is not linked to any specific care provider and its advice is neutral and free of charge. In addition the service will hold numerous information leaflets covering specific topics or services at your disposal.
All staff in care counselling know the strains, hardships and requirements of both, the person needing care and the person giving care, from many years of practical experience and will look for individual solutions and the corresponding contacts with all parties concerned. With this in mind, they co-operate closely with everybody involved in the provision of care and social services for the elderly in Bielefeld.
Within the structures of the local council administration, the care counselling service co-operates closely with, among others, the following departments:
Housing advice centre
Counselling service for people with disabilities
Welfare centre
Neighbourhood initiative
Care home standards commission
Office for intercultural affairs
In case you have language or communication problems, please contact us personally. We co-operate with an interpreter for your language, too. This enables the care counselling service to give you all the personal advice and support you may need.
Our address:
Amt für soziale Leistungen – Sozialamt (welfare office)
Neues Rathaus, floor b, room 207/208
Niederwall 23
33602 Bielefed
Persons to contact:
Claudia Baumgartner, Sandra Beuse
Telephone: 0521 / 51-2563, 51-2629
Fax:              0521 / 51-3297